Do you want to eat something comforting yet fancy? This roasted chicken with Caesar dressing recipe is the answer. It’s the perfect combination of the three S’s: sweet, spicy, and savory.
● 1 whole chicken, remove the giblets
● 1 escarole head
● 2 teaspoons kosher salt
● 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
● ¼ teaspoon shio koji
● 14 cups zhi
● 2 tablespoons sugar
● ½ cup, plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
● 5 cloves confit garlic
● 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh
● ¾ teaspoon black pepper
● 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
Ingredients (Caesar Dressing)
● 1 large egg yolk
● ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
● 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
● 1 tablespoon water
● 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
● 1 medium garlic clove
● 2 cloves of garlic confit
● 4 oil-packed anchovies
● 1 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
● Spread the chicken on a baking sheet. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Leave uncovered and put it in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours
● For the koji marinade, take shio koji, confit garlic, lemon zest, Shabzi, sugar, and ½ cup of oil. Add it to the grinder, and mix until thick. Put the refrigerated chicken in a zip lock bag along with the koji marinade and then massage it in. Refrigerate the marinated chicken for 24 to 48 hours.
● Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put one rack in the middle of the oven and one at the bottom. Put the chicken on a roasting pan and place it on the middle rack without the marinade. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour.
● Add the potatoes, 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and thyme into a pan and place it in the oven on the bottom rack. Roast for approximately 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir them once halfway.
● Once the chicken is well roasted, take it out and leave it for 10 minutes. Later, carve it into 8 pieces—2 breast halves, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings, and 2 thighs.
● Take the escarole and cut its head in half lengthwise, then chop it into large pieces. Take a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil to it, and heat it. Divide the escarole into 2 batches, put the first batch on the heated pan, and stir for about 1 minute.
Directions for Caesar Dressing
Add the egg yolk, Parmesan, water, garlic clove, lemon juice, confit garlic, mustard, and anchovies into the processor and mix until smooth. While processing, add oil to the mixture slowly. In a big bowl, add potatoes and escarole, pour ⅓ Caesar dressing, and mix it until it’s evenly spread. Place the mixture on the plate, put the chicken on top, and viola!