Chef Ina Garten is a person of many talents. One of them is her ability to come up with new cooking tricks to make life in the kitchen way easier. One of the most brilliant hacks of the Barefoot Contessa-famed chef is cooking hash browns using a waffle iron. The result is crisp and delicious hash browns with a fluffy layer of potatoes inside. It’s no surprise that very few items can beat hash browns as a quick and tasty breakfast dish. Here’s the easy recipe to whip them up on a waffle iron, bringing a little change that can go a long way on your breakfast table!
● Russet potatoes, 1½ pounds
● Medium yellow onion, 1
● Melted butter, 2 tablespoons
● Lightly beaten large egg, 1
● All-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon
● Salt, to taste
● Pepper, to taste
● First, grate the potatoes in a food processor, roll them up in a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze out all the excess moisture.
● Place the potatoes in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together until well combined.
● Next, preheat the waffle iron to medium-high. Brush both sides with melted butter. You can also use nonstick cooking spray instead.
● Now, spread 1/3 cup of the potato mixture in each division of the waffle iron. Place down the iron’s top part to sandwich everything together.
● Let the hash browns cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on the strength of your waffle iron.
The Hash Browns
Voila! Delicious hash browns straight from the waffle iron are ready to be enjoyed. With just a handful of ingredients and an easy process, you’ll end up with tasty hash browns that are crispy on the outside but fluffy in the middle. Furthermore, onions add a little extra depth of flavor to the dish alongside a tiny kick. Try the recipe and you may never want to go back to your traditional way of cooking hash browns. It’s that easy and wonderful!
Just because you’re vegetarian, that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on certain meals. With a few adjustments, you can enjoy almost anything. That includes carbonara, a dish that is as tasty as it is filling whether it has meat in it or not.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, you’ll want around 450 grams of your pasta of choice, as well as two eggs, four finely chopped garlic cloves, two tablespoons of olive oil, and 110 grams of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. A little bit of black pepper, salt, and parsley also wouldn’t go amiss for some seasoning.
The Cooking Portion
After boiling a pot of water, add some salt and cook the pasta until its al dente. Once that’s done, put the pasta in a bowl to the side and focus on the eggs and parmesan. Beat these together until they’re thoroughly mixed and leave them in another bowl.
Adding Everything Together
Focusing again on the pasta, add in the chopped garlic and olive oil, as well as the egg and parmesan mix. You’ll want to stir this all together quickly, keeping the pace up until the eggs begin to thicken. Once they’ve turned opaque, pour in a little bit of water just to thin out the mixture slightly. Then, serve the pasta in a bowl and season the meal with your pepper, parsley, and maybe even some more parmesan. Go ahead and treat yourself.
This vegetarian take on carbonara is pretty much a glorified mac and cheese, hence why it’s so easy to make. It should only take you around 20 minutes to cook, and with this amount of ingredients, you’ll be able to serve roughly four people. It’s a great meal choice for a small dinner party, and regardless of whether the guests are vegetarian or not, everyone should find the dish delicious.