Do you know, how to make a side dish the center piece of your dinner table? Ask Feges BBQ, the Houston-based community BBQ joint, is gaining increasing popularity and acclaim over its new approach to barbeque. Combining traditional and contemporary, they have created a unique fusion in the preparation and flavors of their BBQ dishes. And locals are going gaga over their Korean braised kale. As the Texas Monthly puts on, these spicy Korean greens might be the best BBQ side dish in entire Texas. But you don’t have to fly all the way to Texas to try it! Just follow this easy recipe, and you can serve the dish fresh from your kitchen for your next BBQ party!
Ingredients (For 6 servings):
• Kale, 1 bag, about 1 pound. Cut and de-stem the kale.
• Roasted red bell peppers, 1 can, about 12 ounces. Drain the peppers and cut them into thin slices.
• Garlic cloves, 2. Finely chop the cloves.
• Medium-sized shallots, 3. Slice thinly.
• Canola oil, 1 tablespoon
• Salt, as per taste
• Crushed red-pepper flakes, 1½ teaspoons
• Water, 3 cups
• Spicy Korean barbecue sauce, ½ cup
• Heat oil in a large braising pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced bell peppers and caramelize for 3 to 4 minutes.
• When there is no more liquid left in the pan, reduce heat to medium. Add chopped shallots, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 1 minute, until it becomes fragrant.
• Then start adding kale, water, and barbecue sauce in batches. The kale should begin to wilt. Gradually add all the kale, water, and barbecue sauce. If you prefer more heat, you can increase the amount of sauce to as much as 1 cup.
• Cover the pan with a lid, while reducing the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the kale is tender. Serve hot.